The SecureDNA project
The SecureDNA project seeks to enable fast, reliable, cheap,
automated screening of DNA synthesis orders, to prevent both careless
and malicious users from synthesizing potentially-hazardous DNA
sequences anywhere in the world. It is an international,
academic/commercial partnership project, consisting of researchers from
MIT, Tsinghua University, Aarhus University, Shanghai Jiao Tong
University, and other world-leading academic institutions, in
partnership with major international DNA synthesis providers. Our
implementation languages are Rust and Python. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our goal is to develop an automatic and accurate screening system which can:
- Screen DNA synthesis orders much more quickly and cheaply than the current human-reliant review system;
- Have negligible impact on legitimate research by researchers authorized to work with particular organisms;
- Effectively block hazardous DNA sequences from being produced without suitable oversight, whether via accident or malice;
- Protect intellectual property by not disclosing the submitted DNA orders to third parties;
- Protect worldwide security by not disclosing potential hazards which may not be public; and
- Enable global commercial adoption, with community verification, via scientific diplomacy and open-source software.
To learn more, visit our website or read our technical whitepaper.
We are seeking developers and a software development manager to help build a team
and implement the specification we have developed.
This includes the initial beta release, scheduled for the next several
months, with possible extension to the entire (multi-year) project.
See below for specific descriptions.
No relocation is required; this is a 100% virtual position.
SecureDNA has the flexibility to hire either as a full-time salaried
position or as a contractor at industry-competitive rates. Funding is
administered through MIT (US) and Tsinghua University (China).
Basic Requirements for all positions (developers and development manager):
Nice to Have
- Significant experience working with secure software system development and deployment.
- Strong knowledge and experience with one or preferably both of the project languages: Python and Rust.
- Knowledge and experience with software testing and with git.
- Familiarity with common cryptographic software libraries and implementations.
- Fluent in English, including good writing skills.
- Familiarity with modern cryptography-based secure computing algorithms.
- Some familiarity with basic biological knowledge and DNA synthesis.
- Flexible work hours and arrangement; remote and/or part-time are both acceptable.
- A critical role in implementing an important biosecurity system which will be deployed worldwide.
- Future opportunities in long-term collaboration with other research projects.
- Competitive salary and other benefits.
We seek developers with skills to help with:
- Writing a variety of components, mostly backend (storage, crypto, network) and a small amount of frontend (customer-facing web).
- Establishing a testing framework, including both unit testing and continuous integration.
- Deploying the system into the production environments of our DNA customers and vendor partners.
Your responsibilities include:
Contact: email@example.com (principals only; no recruiters, please)
- Assisting in locating, evaluating, and hiring developers to write robust, well-documented code.
- Assisting in development (coding, documentation, testing, etc) as appropriate and required.
- Planning and monitoring development schedules.